Saturday, February 27, 2010

I think I can, I think I can, I think I can


I am totally frustrated today by the whole process of potty training. Treyton turned 3 in October and should be potty trained by now, but he isn't. I have been trying on and off for the past 6 months or so to get this done, and it just isn't happening. I have a strong belief that is is better to wait until they are a little older and then potty training is a breeze, but this is getting ridiculous. When I first started trying several months ago I was all excited, and I bought him several dollar store prizes and told him that every time he goes on the potty he can open a present. That really worked and for almost an entire day he went potty several times. But then the next day he absolutely refused to put on underwear or sit on the potty (I mean throw himself on the floor, arms and legs flaying refused to do it.) Ok, we will try later.

So then again a couple of months later I tried again, only this time his cousin McKay was also doing it so I thought this will be a perfect time to do it. Well, same thing he went a few times and then refused again.

So then the other night I had to go to the store to get some things and I found the little boys underwear and told him I would buy him some new ones if he would try to go in the potty again. He was so excited to get new "Diego" underwear that he wanted to put them on as soon as we got home. I was excited to get this going so we started trying again on Thursday of this week. Well he did pretty good on Thursday, and then on friday he went in the potty several times, but would not go poop. He went from Wednesday to Saturday without pooping. Well this afternoon he pooped in his underwear and he has wet his pants twice today. He does not want to get on the potty, but he won't put on a diaper or pull-ups either, because he wants to wear underwear. So do I just let him pee and poop himself?

Both Savanna and Mitch were potty trained within a few days of starting the process, they were both excited to do it and it was pretty painless, but this is causing me great stress. When I try to physically put him on the potty he throws a fit, and yet he won't let me put a diaper on him. I just hope that he doesn't end up going to Kindergarten not potty trained!!!

I find myself getting really frustrated when I hear other people having success getting their kids potty trained when they are under 2. Why can't my 3 1/2 year old do it!!! I know that he is smart, he is just incredibly stubborn.

8 comments:

Natalie♥ said...

Rachel I am so sorry I just went through this same thing with Kenna. She will be three in April and I am the same as you I believe you need to wait until they are old enough to understand at least. But she would throw huge fits like that too and it was horrible. We promised her a new bike, ears pierced, anything she wanted and she just wouldn't do it. I got a bowl of warm water with some pennies in it and then another bowl that she could put the pennies in after she picked them out of the water. She liked doing this so much that she would finally sit on the potty, and then it just took that one time of going and she knew how to do it. I will tell you we had many accidents before she has finally gotten the hang of it. I have heard that once you start don't stop because then they know you will give in and it is harder the next time you start up again. Just keep going he will get it, but Kenna was the exact same way and she would refuse to put a diaper or a pull up on once she started wearing underwear. I think potty training is so hard there is no easy way to do it, they should call it "Mommy training" :) Good luck to you, keep trying.

stevie kay said...

I like what Natalie said about not stopping because then he knows if he pushes hard enough, you'll give in.

On the flip side, this blog post was a good insight on how to deal with potty training very stubborn children.
http://garduniaupdate.blogspot.com/2009/12/when-enough-is-enough.html

Just hang in there. He's a smart kid, he'll get it- it's your sanity you have to worry about!

Holli Fuhriman said...

I have no experience in this area and am kind of dreading it to tell the truth. I think it's really interesting how different kids come out from the same parents. I guess we just have to remember all the wonderful aspects of our child's personality through these trying times. Good Luck!

Josie said...

I guess you could try no diaper or underwear. Have you let him be naked yet? I know it works for a lot of people.

Nat said...

Oh, man. I tried everything with Jakob, and it was a good six months of constant training before he was done. Brock was 3 weeks; Troy was 3 days. I have no idea how I lucked out with Troy being so easy (he's the most stubborn), though he basically had to be the one to decide to do it, and once he did it was so simple. With Brock we had him clean out his own undies, and it worked like a charm. Hang in there, and I'm sure he'll get it long before kindergarten!

Janae -- Thoughts in Vinyl said...

All my kids were over three when they were potty trained...and all so different about doing it too. It is so stressful and hard on the Mom. Macie had some speech delays and her teachers thought that would make potty training a little harder. She was 3 1/2 when we got her potty trained, but it was another few weeks until she pooped on the toilet too.
Hang in there...he will catch on! I prayed about potty training and remaining patient many times!
Wish I had the magic answer for you.

Nancy J said...

It can be so frustrating. The battle of the wills. It is so fun. I don't think there is a magic answer besides at this point not giving in and being consistent. It is so hard to rule your schedule around their potty needs. It will work and one day this will be a memory.

Lori said...

Potty training is my very least favorite thing about being a mom (so far- I haven't hit the teenager stage yet). I would rather be up all night with a baby than potty train! Good luck - I'm needing to start Addi too...