Tuesday, July 26, 2011

7th annual Van Sargent Reunion

This is the finished product of the scripture craft that we did for the reunion. The Scripture I chose for our family was D&C 64:33 "Wherefore, be not weary in well-doing, for ye are laying the foundation of a great work. And out of small things proceedeth that which is great." The reason I chose this scripture is because as a parent I feel weary a lot, and I have to remember that the things we do each day in raising our children, in teaching them correctly, praying with them, reading the scriptures sometimes seem small, but hopefully some day we will see that they were a great thing.

Here is Stevan, Sara, Leah and Ruth working on their craft board. I loved to see Stevan get involved in this and they all turned out great. I wish that I had taken a picture of everyone with their scripture.
The kids painting their sun-catchers.

Little Naomi- 16 months and a hard age to be camping!
My Dad! Love him!

The kids working on their projects!
Sara and Shane- the most recently wedded

I'm glad the newly wed's still like each other

Angie, Naomi and Grandma

Grandma taking care of her grandkids- she is the best!
Shane trying to put Naomi to sleep
Carolina ready to go swimming!
Mom and Talmage
Angie, Kate and Carolina hanging out on the boat dock- this is all we had, there were no beaches.
This is Reid taking off on the boat, he won't come back dry.
Steve
Steve wake boarding! He is a pro

This is Reid after he fell out of the boat. Poor guy was trying to get the rope for Steve and fell out of the boat. He ruined his phone and really hurt his back. But we all got a good laugh!


This year I was in charge of the Van Sargent family reunion. This was a little stressful for me, I don't like be in charge and responsible for everyone else's fun and happiness. But after all is said and done I think we all had a great time. We chose to hold the reunion up in Palisades due to the closeness. Mom and Dad prefer to come home each evening to be able to sleep in their own bed. Plus Leah and Tony with their new little baby wanted to sleep at home as well. We started out on Friday and came home Sunday afternoon. We spent saturday on the lake, it was very full this year so there were no beaches for the kids to play on. They didn't seem to mind, and spent most of their time on the boat or playing on the 3 man raft that Ruth and Kent brought up.

Sara and Shane ended up borrowing a motor home so Ruth and her babies were able to sleep in that with them or they too would have gone home each evening.

I chose the theme of "I know the scriptures are true." So each of the families picked their favorite scripture and each of them did a small devotional on whey that was their favorite scripture and we each made a board with the scripture on it. It was fun to see the husbands get involved in this craft. They all turned out really cute, and I think it is something that everyone can display in their homes. I found some easy, cheap crafts on Oriental Trading for the kids- this kept them entertained and then I didn't feel bad if they didn't turn out the best.

We all took turns making different meals, and everyone came prepared with delicious food. I don't think anyone went away hungry. It was a great time, and I am glad that my year is done and I don't have to be in charge for another 5 years!

2 comments:

Robin said...

I am with you--I love attending reunions but I don't love being in charge. Your reunion theme was such a cute idea. I may have to use that idea sometime. I love the scripture boards! I also love seeing the men do a craft. So cute!

Nat said...

Wow! That's awesome that you were in charge. It looks like you did an amazing job, though that's no surprise.