Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Chicken Pot Pie

The chicken, vegetables and sauce all mixed together.
All ready to go in the oven.

As you can see it kind of made a mess in the dish, so I would recommend putting it on a cookie sheet so you don't make a mess in your oven. Or maybey if I had used a bigger dish this wouldn't have happened.


It doesn't look super good, but it was very delicious!
You see our fancy dinner table.

I very yummy dinner that I plan on making many more times.

I have been in need of a major menu overhaul. Tonight I decided to try something different so I made homeade chicken pot pie. I was so excited about it that I actually took pictures of it while I was making it. It turned out really yummy and it was a huge hit in my family. I thought I would post the recipe in case anyone else wants to try it.

2 frozen 9 inch pie crusts
4 chicken breasts cut into chunks
1/2 onion chopped finely
1/3 cup butter
1 cup frozen peas
3 stalks of celery chopped
about 15 mini carrots chopped
3 small potatoes pealed & chopped
2 tsp. Chicken boullion
1 can cream of chicken soup
1. cook the onions in the butter until the onions are translucent. Then add the chicken chunks to the onions and cook until the chicken is cooked through.

2. In a seperate sauce pan cook the peas, celery, carrots and potatoes in boiling water until the vegetables are tender.

3. Add the chicken boullion and cream of chicken soup to the onions and butter.

4. Drain the water from the vegetables and add the vegetables to the chicken mixture.

5. With cooking spray coat a casserole dish and place one of the pie crusts in the bottom of the dish. Pour the chicken and vegetables into the pie crust and then cover with the 2nd pie crust. Put a few slits in the pie crust for venting.

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Place dish in the oven and cook for 30 minutes covering the crust with tin foil. After 30 minutes remove the tin foil and cook for another 30 minutes. let cool for 2-3 minutes before serving.

2 comments:

Natalie♥ said...

yummy Rachel that looks so good I will have to try that recipe!

Robyn said...

Rachel,
Sara told me this was super yummy.
I'll try it this week.
Thanks for sharing!
Robyn Longhurst