Monday, March 22, 2010

Friends come and go, but why is it so hard?


My darling girl Savanna is just about the perfect child (at least in my eyes), but the poor thing had a rough day and I felt like we had an important Mother daughter moment. Usually she is very self motivated when it comes to getting her homework and reading done, it takes very little encouragement from me for her to get the things done in the day that she needs to. But today was different, she did not want to do her reading and she was being a bit of a stinker about it. After a lecture from me about doing it she just started to cry and told me that she hated her life and wished she were dead. This came as a big suprise to me because she is usually a very happy, optimistic child. I wan't sure how to respond to this so I just let her cry for a bit while I held her. Then I asked her what was going on that would make her feel this way. She told me that she didn't have any friends at school that she could play with. I asked her specifically about some girls in her class that I know she has been friends with. She told me that they had new friends that were mean and that they didn't want to play with her anymore. This broke my heart. I remember so vividly having similar experiences in school and how painful that was. So how do you tell a 7 year old, that it will pass and not to worry about it.


I told her that instead of worrying about who she could play with during recess to look around and see if she could find any kids at the school that looked like they didn't have anyone to play with and to try and be their friend. I told her to remember how sad you feel right now, and that you don't want anyone else to feel that same way. I also told her that sometimes friends come and go, but she can always come home and know that her Mom and Dad and siblings love her no matter what, and she can have confidence that she will always have friends at home. I hope that in some way I was able to help her feel better.


I knew that my kids would have issues like this in their lives, just like everyone else, but I didn't realize that it would happen so soon. I hope that this little girl can come home tomorrow and be much happier.

7 comments:

Lori said...

Poor Savanna! She is such a sweetheart. Kids can be so cruel (often without even realizing it). I continue to be amazed at how much a Mother's heart can ache for her children. I appreciate my Mom so much more everyday! You're an awesome mom Rachel!

Mickey said...

I am crying.This is so unfair. I look at kids in primary and see how they treat one another. I know, it has always been this way, but it is just as hard in any generation. One thing I know for sure, our sweet Savanna will never be the one to make someone feel like she does today. She beautiful inside and out. She needs a grandma hug and I need a Savanna hug. Rachel, you are wonderful. Savanna is so lucky that she has such a beautiful mom. Like Reid told me when he met you. "Mom, everyone loves Rachel"

Layton Mom said...

Poor Savanna. Why do kids have to learn such hard lessons so young?

Shanda said...

Dang kids! Hang in there Savannah! You too Rach! Your a good mom and you both will make it!

Robin said...

Such beautiful advice you gave her! I had a similar experience with Jaden and he ended up making a great new friend with a little boy who also felt very lonely. Hard experiences sometimes end up being some of our favorite memories.

The Staker Family said...

Aww, I am so sorry that Savanna had a bad day. I think you gave her great advice, you are such a good mama!

Nat said...

Oh, man, this is like a day in the life of Jake. There have been days where he's said the exact same thing. And I've said the exact same thing to Jake-find the kids that don't have any friends, and be friends with them. Or, just ask some kids if you can play with them instead of waiting for them to ask you; they probably wouldn't know that you wanted to play with them otherwise.

Savanna is just so stinking cute.