Monday, February 8, 2010

A fire is burning!

We had quite the experience tonight that I just had to write about. While I was cooking dinner and all my children were sitting at the bar watching me I had a fire break out on the stove. This is the first time this has ever happened to me, and it was so scary. I was cooking a chicken breast with a little bit of oil, and I opened the lid to turn it and it burst into flames. I am not exaggerating one bit when I say the flames were at least 2 feet tall. I grabbed the pan and threw it in the sink and turned on the water, which at first made it worse. I thought in those few short seconds that here goes my kitchen. I thought for sure it was all going to go up in flames. But luckily it went out with no harm done. A few seconds later the fire alarms started going off, and all 4 of my kids started crying. They were really scared. At this point I knew we were ok, so it was just a matter of calming down the kids and opening up some doors to get the smoke out and within a few minutes the alarms stopped. It was a good learning experience for all of us because we got to have a good conversation about what to do if a fire were to start, or if we were to hear the fire alarms go off in the night or any other time. We talked about our emergency plan and where we would go. We will all meet at the mail box, and then probably head down to Steve's house.

6 comments:

Robin said...

So scary! That makes me want to review our emergency plan too. I'm glad everything turned out okay and no one got hurt.

The Staker Family said...

I am glad it turned out okay! We did a "fire drill" for FHE a while back and we explained what was going to happen and what to do, then Allan climbed up the ladder and pushed the button and the kids who should be old enough to know what to do just stared and the younger ones cried. Even though we had just told them where to meet and what to do, no one did it. I guess we need more practice for sure.

Unknown said...

Oh my gosh! Talk about scary. Glad it all turned out ok!

stevie kay said...

Kind of crazy, but your story totally reminded me of the first few seconds of this superbowl commercial. Enjoy and glad it all turned out good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdurgcDsa60

Mickey said...

Wow, the kids were telling me about this last night but I didn't realize it had just happened. It is scary, and especially when the kids start to cry. But someone was looking out for you.

Janae -- Thoughts in Vinyl said...

How scary!! What a good idea though to talk about your emergency plan, I bet your kids will never forget it.