Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Speech Therapy

A couple of years ago Mitchel went through the Infant/Toddler program for speech therapy. It was a tremendous help for his speech development. Well now Treyton is two and he is having some of the same speech issues that Mitchel had. So I called about it again, and Treyton was tested today and does not qualify for the program his speech is just barely above what it needs to be for him to be able to have the service. I was kind of bummed, because it helped Mitch so much. Treyton is hardly talking at all and he gets so frustrated with us because we can't understand what he is saying. The speech therapist gave me a few suggestions on how to help him, and she said if I don't see a major improvement over the next 6 months to call again.

I do have to say that this program is amazing, it is a free service to the community. They are a little slow about getting back with you, but you can't really complain when it is free. The speech therapist comes out to your house usually 2 times a week and just works with your child on their speech. She also works with the parents on ways to help their child. I remember I was so worried about Mitchel, but he progressed so well that he was back up to normal by the time he turned 3. If anyone has a child that they think is speech delayed don't hesitate to call the Infant/Toddler program, it really is helpful.

5 comments:

stevie kay said...

Landon did that too, although by the time we actually got a speech therapist out there, he'd already caught up on his own. Hopefully Treyton will be able to catch up on his own time as well - and if not, then you can always test again.

Nat said...

My neice is in a speech therapy program. I think it's helped her a little bit.

I worried about Brock for a while when he was 2, because for a few months I couldn't understand him, but then all of a sudden it was clear as day. Hopefully the same thing happens with Treyton.

Janae -- Thoughts in Vinyl said...

Macie was in the infant/toddler program and we thought it was wonderful too.

Jodi said...

Ya, this totally saved Mr. Austin's life. He actually had the infant/toddler program and some speech w/ pre school. Now he goes to a private Speech therapist. Works wonders! I am worried about Rider and have been watching for signs since birth-you know me-I am totally freakazoid. How do you get them screened? Do you have to get a referral from the Pediatrician?

julie said...

I had Avery tested to see if she qualified, but she was just barely above what they say qualifies. I think they have to test at 7% or below, and Avery was about 14%. She's talking a little better now, but it's still difficult to understand what she's saying. But it's neat that this is a "free" service (we pay for it with our taxes).