Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Where's my patience?

I just have to vent for a minute. I am frustrated with myself. I have really good kids, but they are very normal and I don't have very much patience with them sometimes. I feel really bad because this afternoon I was helping Savanna with her homework, and she just wasn't getting one of her pages. I explained it over and over, and she was trying but just wasn't grasping it. Instead of being a good Mom and being patient and kind, I wasn't very nice and told her that I was done, and we would have to come back to it later. I know that I made her feel bad, but I just couldn't help it. I don't understand why I would act that way, what is my problem?

Also tonight Treyton spilled juice on the floor and so I was cleaning it up, and the floor was wet and Mitchel came running through the kitchen and of course fell and hurt himself. And instead of comforting him like a good Mom would do, I yelled and told him that I was so sick and tired of them rough housing and it was time for bed. I picked him up and carried him to the bathroom, brushed his teeth without a word and tucked him in bed, the whole while he was crying. I did go back later and apologize and give him a kiss, but I feel like such a failure that I can't be more patient with them.

Sometimes I am better than others, but the last couple of days I have felt so frustrated with them for silly things. I need to remember that they are just 6, 4, and almost 2, they are still just learning! It's a good thing that kids are so forgiving, and that they seem to love me unconditionally. I need to learn this lesson from them.

6 comments:

Nat said...

Rachel, we've all been there. There are days that I feel like all I've done is yell at my kids, over the dumbest things, too! Like, sometimes they are all playing together really well, but they're being REALLY loud while doing it, and I'll yell at them to be quiet. They were just playing! I'm such a jerk sometimes. Just hang in there, and know you're not alone.

Jodi said...

Oh my sweet friend you know too well I have been there all too often. I don't think we are expected to be perfect moms. You love your kids and it is obvious they are so happy and healthy. I liked Elder Bednar's talk in conference about prayer. I have been applying that principle of praying always (one continuous prayer) for help in matters such as these. I really have noticed a greater capacity to show patience-but mostly I am right there with you and Nat it sounds like.

Layton Mom said...

I think my patience took a really long vacation. Apparently it talked your pariece into joining it. I really hope it comes home soon!

Shanda said...

I still think you are amazing for having 3 little ones! But I DO understand the patience thing tremendously! Having a teenager, enough said? Hang in there! You are a great mom! We all have to have a "moments" it reminds us that we are human!

Unknown said...

My sisters and I call this our "Freak Outs"! It's sooo normal. The thing that matters is that you recognize it and you are such a good mom to apologize. Didn't your mom ever yell, my sure did!! And she's still my best friend today.

Roxanne said...

rachel, this is your mother-in-law. You have beautiful, kind, considerate, lovable children and they are that way because they have a beautiful, kind, considerate,loving mother. You are doing a fantastic job, and I thank you, and love you.