Saturday, August 30, 2008

I have much to be thankful for

Not a lot has happened this last week to blog about, but I was thinking this evening that I have very much to be grateful for so I wanted to express some of those things:

1. I am so thankful that I have a good husband, he honors his priesthood, he works hard for the welfare of his family, and he treats me and our children with dignity and respect. Although he is not perfect (and neither am I) he has far more good qualities than bad ones. I am grateful that I have a good relationship with him and that we can talk openly with each other.

2. I am so lucky to have 3 beautiful, healthy children that love me, despite my weaknesses as a mother. I love each of them so much and I am thankful for their individual personalities and joy they bring into our family.

3. I am so grateful to have my family close by and that I have good relationships with them. I take that for granted most of the time, but I do know that this is not the case for everyone. I am so lucky that my best friends are my siblings and my parents. I know that if I ever need help they are only a phone call away and that they will be there for me whenever needed.

4. I am thankful for the blessing of being a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints and the joy of living the gospel. I know that I am not a perfect member, but there is so much peace that comes from the knowledge that I have of the restored gospel. Along this same line I have to say that I am thankful for the blessings of paying tithing. I was very stressed this past week because we got the dental bill from Mitchel's teeth surgery and after insurance our portion was $1,100, and this was just from the dentist, we haven't seen the bill from the hospital or anestesialogist yet. I had no idea how we would come up with the money. (This was not something that we had budgeted for.) This week we also happened to get a refund check in the mail for $700.00. We had not planned on this money and I feel like it was a direct blessing from Heavenly Father for paying our tithing.

5. I feel very grateful for good health. Although occasionally we have sick kids, or don't feel great ourselves, for the most part we have extremely good health. I can't imagine how hard it would be going throughout our daily lives if we had some chronic health problems.

I didn't mean for this to be fast and testimony meeting, but I just wanted to express my thoughts on how grateful I am for just a small portion of my blessings. It is sometimes good to remember all we have to be thankful for! I sometimes have a hard time understanding some things like why good people have a hard time getting pregnant and having children when you know they would make great parents, and why some people who would make great spouses haven't had the opportunity to get married. But I know that it is all in the Lord's time, and hopefully some day I will have the answers to these questions. But I need to try to remember the good things in life!

1 comment:

Benner said...

Very true Rachel. In my mission, when I was feeling the lowest, I would consider all the things I had to be grateful for and it always made my burdens lighter. Sometimes I think that is just one of the many ways that we can pass our stresses and worries onto the Savior and He will make our yokes lighter. You're awesome and have a great family!