Friday, September 23, 2011

My first bit of canning

I was so excited to get things on my new shelves that Reid built last month in the storage room.




I have always felt like canning was way to much work for what you get in return. I have always thought that the cost of buying store bought canned goods was worth the cost and effort that you save by not canning. However; I have been feeling a bit guilty about not trying to can at least a little. So the other day I was talking to my friend Natalie and she was telling me all about her canning peaches. I mentioned that I would love to learn how, so she came to my house and helped me learn how to do it.

I remember canning with my Mom when I lived at home, and hating every minute of it, but honestly this time canning didn't seem so bad. It is a lot of work and kind of a mess, but very worth the effort to have all those peaches and pears on my storage shelf. I ended up buying two boxes of peaches, and one box of pears. And ended up with 20 quarts of peaches, and 11 pints of peaches. And 6 quarts of pears, and 12 pints of pears. I feel very accomplished in having done it.

3 comments:

Roxanne said...

Way to be ambitious! I have only done a little canning as well....but I'm telling you--canned peaches are sooooo tasty! When I open a jar I usually want to eat the whole thing myself! Enjoy!

Mickey said...

They Look Beautiful!

Natalie♥ said...

So awesome Rach!!! I am so glad that you loved doing it :) :)