Saturday, July 10, 2010

Survivor

Last night the kids and I met my parents, Val, and the Beck's over at Bonneville High School for the "Relay for Life". It is a fundraiser for the American Cancer Society. My Mom was recognized for being a 10 year cancer survivor. I am so glad that I went, we had a lot of fun. We got to walk the track with the survivors and we bought some dinner from some of the vendors, all the proceeds go to the American Cancer Society. My Dad even volunteered in one of the booths and served hot dogs and baked potatoes.

When they had the survivors walk they played the song "I Will Survive", and I teared up a little, because it was so fitting. It was over 10 years ago that my Mom was diagnosed with breast cancer. She had to have a mastectomy, chemo-therapy and radiation treatment. She lost her hair and a bit of the spring in her step. But she is doing great now, and I can't imagine what the last 10 years would have been like without her. My Mom is such an example of service and love and I am so lucky to have her. I am so glad that my kids get to have her as their grandma. I do not take for granted that my Mom is still around, a few months ago my friend Gennelle's Mom passed away. I cried for a whole day over it, I only met her Mom once but I cried for Gennelle because she is my friend and I love her, but I also cried because I thought about how awful it would be if my Mom died. I know it will happen some day, but I hope that it is no time soon. I love you Mom!



My Mom, the cancer survivor!

Mom with all her grand kids, she had none 10 years ago. -Easton isn't in this picture because he was at cub scouts and Naomi was in the stroller asleep. So all her grand kids except 2 of them.

2 comments:

Valeen said...

Thanks for making my cry, I can always use a good one now and then. It was fun spending the evening with you guys! We are all tremendously lucky to have LarRene in our lives.

Mickey said...

Wow, I am so glad you went to this. My mom battled breast cancer for 11 years, and lost.
I miss her every day. Her sister also lost this battle. It explains so much why LarRene is always so cheerful, and enjoys every moment. Congratulations LarRene,you are wonderful