Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Spring Break

Last years Easter party at my parents

I don't have much to say except I don't know if I like the idea of a week long spring break, I guess if you were going to go on a vacation it would be nice, but since we are at home it has seemed really long. We have tried to do fun things every day, along with doing chores and keep up on the reading through the break so we don't fall behind in our school progress, but the kids have been bickering non-stop all week so far.


The good thing has been we have adapted a new system that I am planning on using during the summer break to get chores and reading done daily. I've never been much of a fan of the idea of an "allowance", but I have found that the kids need to have some kind of an incentive to keep them going. So if they do their chores and their reading each day they get a sticker on the chart, then at the end of the week they get a quarter for each sticker. This gives them the chance to "earn" some money, have the opportunity to pay tithing, and help me to not be such a nag about getting things done. Because all I have to say is "if you don't do it you won't get a quarter for today. Enough said. This has worked well, at least this week. Hopefully it will work for the long summer ahead.


I am excited for the end of the week to celebrate all the Easter festivities. I have always loved Easter, probably because it always fell close to my birthday so there was always lots of fun during the time. Plus I love conference weekend and listening to the general authorities.


I have such fond memories as a child of Easter Egg Hunts at my Grandma Romrell's. She always made such a huge effort to get all her grandkids together and we also celebrated all the grandkids birthday's at Easter. She called it her "un-birthday party." Since she had so many grandkids, and they spent the Winter in Arizona she started just having one big birthday party and gave everyone their presents during that time. I just feel happy thinking of those parties. I feel like because of all the effort she made to have get togethers I was very close to my cousins which was so nice to know that I always had a friend in them.

1 comment:

Mickey said...

I love to read your blogs. You have such good things to say. Happy birthday tomorrow. I know I will see you but maybe not tomorrow so i just want to wish you a happy one. Birthdays are good for you. The more you have, the longer you live! Love you